Wednesday's Words, by Morgan Ashbury



Like most people, I get spam e-mail nearly every day, and that really isn't a problem, because, of course, `delete' is an option I exercise on a regular basis. But lately there have been some e-mails that have just made me shake my head in wonder – and not the good kind of wonder, either.


In the subject line, these e-mails read: "Secretly watch your kids, your spouse, your boyfriend or girlfriend..."

Seriously? Is this what our society has devolved into? Are we all a bunch of frightened, paranoid, voyeurs, spying on our loved ones?

Those spam mails are designed to sell a product, and it occurs to me they must work some of the time as they keep coming. I doubt even the most optimistic entrepreneur would continue to incur the expense and trouble of creating and sending them if they didn't.

Because I'm curious, I checked out the link to a web site that was contained in one of these missives.

Now, here I'll digress for just a moment. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a secret agent. My favorite program on TV was "Man From U.N.C.L.E." (yes, I still remember it stands for United Network Command for Law Enforcement.) For Christmas when I turned 11 my big brother got me the Multi-Pistol 09, which had a bazooka that took caps, and a derringer that fit in the handle, to name the two features I remember off the top of my head. I googled it, by the way, and there's actually a you-tube video on that gun!

I mention this bit of trivia that in all likelihood you couldn't care less about because, when I went to the web site promoted by this spam mail, I felt the ghost of that old career ambition tremble with excitement.

Did you know you can get a car key chain with a built in hidden video recorder/camera? Or, shades of Dick Tracy, a waterproof DVR spy camera watch?

I had no idea that lack of trust in our modern society had spawned such an in-depth technological industry!

This web site offered video baby monitors, and I think that's a wonderful idea. I can also understand having the odd hidden camera if you have outside contractors coming into your house to do work.

Not sure I go for the rest of the concept, which basically is (in my words) violate the trust of your loved ones by spying on them to see what they're doing when you're not there.

Would you do it, if you could? Would you spy on your spouse, or family members, to see what they were up to?

I understand the temptation to peek in on your kids—not just the babies but the older ones; perhaps of all the personal relationships mentioned, this is the one that's different, simply because it does involve our children.

I can understand those parents who may search through their kids' drawers, motivated by fear: they're afraid their kids are using drugs or are sexually active, or may even be concerned their children are stealing.

We've all seen horrific cases in the past couple of decades of kids who've become violent, and committed crimes. When the police searched, it was to discover these kids had weapons in their rooms, and we all wondered, "Where were the parents?"

You want to trust your children, but they are children, not yet in full possession of the ability to make good decisions. Too, as the parent you're responsible for them. If your minor child, for example, commits a crime that demands reparations be paid, you the parent can be held financially responsible for those reparations.

So I get that, in a way. Do I think that kids have a right to privacy? Yes, but not the full slate of privacy that adults enjoy.

But I don't understand why anyone would want to spy on someone they've supposedly got a relationship with—a wife, a husband, or a lover.

Because trust is definitely a two way street, and when you spy on your loved one, then you've already broken that trust.

And in my book? You've broken it beyond all repair.


Love,

 
The only dream I've ever had was to be a published author. It was a dream formed in childhood, and held on to through the business of growing up. Life intruded, as life does, and my dream was put on hold. But now, through hard work, faith, and luck dream has evolved into reality.



Romance is a wonderful genre that accommodates every other. Comedy, mystery, paranormal, suspense, or science fiction, romance embraces them all. Erotic romance gives all of that, and so much more.


For readers who want all the best traditional romance has to offer – great characters, compelling stories and a happy ending – and who crave that extra bit of heat – I invite you to read one of my novels and let me know what you think!





Brazen Seduction

Available from Siren-Bookstrand
 
Molly Durant has been in love with Richard Grant since she was a teen. Richard has always treated her as a kid, but she’s never given up hope that he would someday notice her and claim her as his own. Then Molly met Alan Zimmerman and felt an identical kick to her lust-o-meter that Richard inspired. When she discovered the two men were D/s and members of a certain club, Molly planned a most Brazen Seduction.


Richard has always told himself his best friend’s baby sister, Molly, is off limits. When Molly appears at Reckless Abandon, a submissive to be auctioned to the highest bidder, Richard knows he must win her.

But another wants Molly and believes she was meant to be his sex slave. And he will stop at nothing until he has her exactly where he wants her.

Will Richard and Alan claim Molly as their mate, or will time run out?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment