Catching Fireflies, by KC Kendricks


Ah, the shifting stories. If you are a writer likely you’re acquainted with them. Those pesky stories start out fine…then you get a new idea. And that’s not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. It’s a simple thing to tweak what you have and move in a slightly different direction. Then it happens again - you get another idea.

 

Hmm. And of course this second new idea is an about face of where you’ve been headed but it’s so good you don’t mind going back to the beginning and pour out more blood, sweat and broken fingernails.

 

And then four chapters in….Okay, okay. At this point you realize you have the kernels of four separate stories and you’ve squandered two of them…unless you scrap it all, plot the four stories, and start over on something else entirely different until the brain fog lifts on disentangling the threads. 

 

It’s at those times I wish, wish, wish I could write faster. After all this time writing, it’s easy to see where I can take each idea - if I only had the time. Truth is, the time will come just not fast enough to satisfy my impatience to get the stories told.

 

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s to never rush a story. Catching Fireflies is the sequel to Between the Moon and the Deep Blue Sea. Yes, it’s been a while getting here but I’m very satisfied with the end result. The story turned out just the way I envisioned none the worse for the wait. Patience paid off.

 

I hope you’ll enjoy Catching Fireflies.

 

KC

 

 

 

CATCHING FIREFLIES

Contemporary gay romance


Book five in the Southern Cross series

 

Dale Langley longs for some triple R time - rest, relaxation and rejuvenation. He accepts his cousin’s invitation to winter over on Ocracoke Island, far away from the hustle and bustle of life on the mainland. He’s always loved being a rolling stone, traveling for his job without the worry of a place to call home, but it’s time for something different. Now Dale anticipates several blissful months to learn how to be still with no demands on his time while he prepares for the next phase of his life.

 

Aubrey Zimmerman came to Ocracoke to attend a friend’s commitment ceremony. Never one to settle down, Aubrey’s had enough of involvements that took him from man to man without a place to call home. He needs a break - and a little solitude. House sitting while his friend is on his honeymoon is the perfect way to clear his head and catch up on his sleep. At least it seemed that way until Dale arrived and Aubrey realized sleep is the last thing he needs.

 

Fate has changes in store for Dale and Aubrey, the sort neither one knew they wanted. Sometimes the more you wander the closer to home you get.

 

 

EXCERPT:

 

His hand on my knee snapped me back to the here and now. I looked around to find everyone hovering over the steaks sharing grilling secrets, and paying no attention to us.

 

I tried not to notice the warmth of Aubrey’s palm on my skin, but failed miserably. At least if I got hard, I was sitting down and my T-shirt was loose enough to hide it if I leaned forward. Or maybe crossed my legs. Or sank beneath the glider - or the ground. Thankfully, the thought of how embarrassed I’d be kept an erection at bay. Barely.

 

“You know, hon. I like to walk along the water after dinner. Why don’t you join me?”

 

I must’ve had a stupid expression on my face. He tilted his head. “No hanky-panky, of course, being that we just met.”

 

No one even glanced in our direction so I leaned toward him. “Um, sure. A walk would be nice. If I try to hold your hand are you going to stop me?”

 

“That’s all you can hold tonight, sugar. I don’t know anything about you, and I have to make sure you don’t bite before we get to know each other better.” He looked down then slowly lifted his beautiful gaze back to mine. “And you’re hiding something.”

 

I shivered as the memories of the vicious blows I’d received at the hands of strangers taunted me.

 

“I only nibble the occasional earlobe, and my secrets are my own, Aubrey. There’s nothing in them to hurt anyone else.”

 

He studied me for a few moments, his fascinating blue gaze enigmatic. “Fair enough, Dale.” He sighed. “I do have my own. What?”

 

“I could stare into your eyes forever.”

 

Aubrey didn’t blink. “If I had a dollar for every time some tomcat said that to me, I’d be rich…”

 

KC Kendricks

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks

No comments:

Post a Comment