Do the Hokey-Pokey, by KC Kendricks


This has been a productive summer for me in the writing department. I’ve finished one story, am in the closing scene of another, and have “tidied-up” an old manuscript that might just be worthy of publication. I used to wonder if the writing would get easier, and now I have an answer. For me, yes, it has. I’m much more relaxed about this business than I used to be.

 

Part of that is I don’t spend a lot of time out on all the blogs, lists and groups the way I used to.  Doing the occasional personal “appearance” is fine, but they take a chunk out of precious writing time, and since I have a full-time job in addition to writing, I think it’s a necessity that I limit time spent on the Internet. Does that hurt sales? I don’t think so. I believe that the best promotion for your current release is that it be the best book you can write.

 

When I was first published the prevailing wisdom said you had to promo at the review sites in their “live” chat rooms. I did it. Some review sites bragged of having hundreds of people show up for a chat. When I wasn’t headlining those events, I went as myself, not the author, and I never encountered more than twenty-three people at a “live” chat even when some rather big-name New York authors were there.

 

The prevailing wisdom said, “You must have contests.” So I did. I got to know those people who haunt the lists waiting for a contest. I don’t bother much with contests, these days. T-shirts, bookmarks, promo cd’s – all the little klitchy things. I did them all but the writing is more important.

 

Nothing – absolutely nothing – makes any difference if you don’t have a good book to start with. 

 

If I have just one shot at giving any advice to a new writer, or an old one, for that matter, I make it this: Forget everything that fills up your hours with counterproductive activities, and learn, learn, learn all you can to make your writing better.

 

A better story leads to greater personal satisfaction which leads to the next even better book, and that my friends is the hokey-pokey of this business. That’s what it’s all about.

***

 

And now for the promo we’ve all come to expect in a guest blog segment - coming soon at Amber Allure - Kentucky 98 Proof by KC Kendricks!  Look for it around August 18, 2013.





 



Kentucky 98 Proof
by KC Kendricks

 

Victor Carter knows his grandfather only from a handful of black and white photographs, so his surprise when the man’s will is read is genuine. What’s he going to do with seventy acres on the side of a Kentucky mountain? More importantly, how’s he going to survive living there for a year to satisfy the conditions of the will so he can sell the property? Even worse, it’s not like the hills of Kentucky are teeming with gay companionship.

 

Boone Mosely is Kentucky born and bred with a proud family heritage he can trace back to his home state’s founding. Following in his uncle’s footsteps, Boone’s in his second term as sheriff of Four Points. He takes the job seriously and doesn’t suffer fools - or crime - in his town.

 

When city slicker Victor Carter arrives on Shepherd Mountain, Boone knows he’s got a whole new brand of trouble to deal with. And this time, the badge isn’t going to help him at all.

 

That’s all for this month! Thanks, Brenda, for hosting me every other month. You really are the best!

 

KC Kendricks

Website ~ Blog ~ Twitter ~

No comments:

Post a Comment