Moon Dances – A Vacation with a Shapeshifter, by KC Kendricks


The word “vacation” evokes a different response in everyone. And it probably varies from year to year in the individual. To me, vacation is first and foremost any day I don’t have to be at my day job.

This year my annual spring vacation has a few different notes. I’m going to be home alone for five days and I’m looking forward to the time with unrestrained glee. Instead of the incessant talking of the television, there will be music. The feather mattress topper will be on the bed. The air conditioning will be set on seventy-two. I will nap and I will write. I will hope the vacation turns out as planned. I will hope – not hold my breath.

Last year it so happened that I was on vacation when I began to plot Moon Dances. It followed quickly that Fallon and Sundown also needed a vacation. Fallon hoped for a vacation filled with sleep and sex while Sundown wanted to learn how to drive Fallon’s car. Like so many of my own vacations, theirs did not turn out as originally planned either.

Moon Dances is the fourth book in the Sundown saga that began in The Back Stairs and continued in Beneath Dark Stars and River Walk. Writing this series has been a lot of fun. And who knows? Maybe shapeshifters do walk among us? How would we know?

As I begin my first day of blissful solitude, here’s a bit about Moon Dances. Enjoy!



When a pragmatic cop and an alien shapeshifter go on a vacation, rest and relaxation take on a new meaning.

For Lieutenant Fallon Roxbury, Special Police Consultant, reality has taken on a strange shift. Shapeshifters exist and a clan of them live under his protection. One is his lover, Sundown. Protecting the Chal is a full-time job, a task which would be easier if they weren’t so secretive - and scheming. When Fallon’s police force partner suggests a vacation, Fallon jumps at the chance to take Sundown someplace private. A resort near where he grew up seems like the prefect place for a get-away. Ten days filled with sex, sleep and sun is just what they both need, but more than fun lurks in the woods.

The ancient nemesis of the Chal is still out there and could one day return to earth to enslave both Chal and human alike. Secrets of the Chal past come to light when Fallon’s suppressed memories of his early years resurface. The shapeshifters have always had a plan defeat their enemy, one with Sundown at its core.

EXCERPT:

We did a quick cleaning of the little kitchen area and stepped out into the gathering dusk. I stopped to listen to the tiny peeper frogs, holding my index finger up to my lips to keep Sundown from speaking. It was the first time I’d heard them in many years, and the song was different to me now, muted due to the deafness in my right ear.
Sundown nudged at my thoughts, carefully probing to discover what I heard and nothing more. Six months ago, I wouldn’t have felt him do it, but I’d learned to detect his presence. He grinned. “There are those who find frogs tasty.”
I held out my hand, and he took it. “If you turn wolf and eat one, do not kiss me.”
Sundown’s easy laughter lifted my spirits as we fell into step together. I didn’t have a destination in mind, just the joy of walking along the edge of the woods hand-in-hand with my lover. Tomorrow would be time enough to venture among the trees and search for my old haunts.
The boat dock was about a mile beyond our cabin, and we ended up walking down to the water’s edge. As luck would have it, there was also a weathered bench, so we sat shoulder-to-shoulder and watched the crescent moon rise over the lake. I rested my arm on the back of the bench, and he leaned closer. Mingled with smell of the water and pines was a rich sandalwood— the scent my lover produced when he wanted sex.
“You could sit on my lap, babe.”
Sundown bumped against me. “Are there not laws to forbid such exhibitions?”
“I doubt the fish will take pictures.” I unzipped my jeans.
“You’re serious?”
“I think making love with you beside the lake in the moonlight would be a fantasy come true.”
The fragrance of sandalwood deepened as he twisted around to face me. I wrapped my arms around him to keep him from falling off the bench. A little dance of hanky panky under the moon was one thing. On the narrow bench was something else, but Sundown had a hand beneath my underwear to tease the tip of my swelling cock. We’d figure it out. I tipped his head back and kissed him.
His mouth moved beneath mine, soft and unhurried as we both savored the simplicity of the kiss. No demands were made, no surrender given as our lips spoke of things we rarely said aloud. It was in these moments we acknowledged how fragile our happiness really was. His tongue licked into mine, and I answered in kind, thrusting my tongue into his mouth to show him what I really wanted to do to him. Sundown pulled away.
“Stand in front of me, Fallon.”
I shivered in anticipation. He gave really good head. Once in position, my hard dick jutting straight out at his berry-colored lips, I had to let go of my jeans to grab his shoulders.
“I’m gonna get bug bites on my ass.”
Sundown slid his hands up the back of my thighs to grip my butt. “I’ll keep them away.” His mouth opened and he took me in, deep throat.


Moon Dances – paranormal gay romance with a shift – shapeshifter, that is.
Available now at Amber Allure and other fine booksellers.

KC Kendricks

No comments:

Post a Comment