Wednesday's Words, by Morgan Ashbury


Hell has indeed frozen over. Mr. Ashbury this past week became the proud owner of a brand new cell phone, and iPhone 5.

This is something that the rest of the Ashbury family, myself included, have been suggesting to the man for, oh, the last ten years or so. Why now, you might ask. It could very well be that the decision to arm himself with one more piece of modern technology (he has a Kindle, a digital camera, and a PC) is connected to the fact that his major piece of modern technology—the fifty-four inch totally digital, complete with computer keyboard on the back of the remote television is still not working.

The tech came out a week ago last Friday, but discovered the part that was kaput was one he didn’t have. Update: as of the end of business last Friday, the part had been shipped to him, but he had not yet received it.

So, did Mr. Ashbury cave and get an iPhone because of boredom? Possibly. But I rather think it was that day last week when my daughter was nearly an hour late picking him up from work that pushed him over the edge. He claimed he was neither upset nor worried, because he’d heard on the news that a local bridge had been shut down by a drunken dump-truck driver. Actually I think most of North America heard about that one. But I believe the incident brought home to him how isolated and cut off he really was.

He couldn’t call home to ask me about daughter being late because, as luck would have it, the phones where he works were out that day.

So yes, he has a cell phone. He has actually not only spoken on it, but he has sent texts! My husband, for all that he is a senior citizen, isn’t one to let technology scare him over much (unless it’s the afore mentioned big ass TV. The first thing he does when there’s a problem with that is to call our daughter).

There are several reasons why a cell phone for him is a good idea. I’m looking forward to the next time we are both in a big box store and I’m trying to track him down. That will be handy, indeed.

He doesn’t like to talk on the phone much because he is partially deaf. Even his hearing aids don’t help him when it comes to phone calls. But he can text, and that requires no hearing at all. He’s sometimes felt as if he’s out of touch with his son who lives thirty minutes away. And actually, unless we go there or they come here, he is—because,.

I use my cell phone to keep in touch with those grandchildren, too. They all live busy lives, but all I have to do is send a text, and they answer me.

Mr. Ashbury has already also figured out how to use several different functions on his phone, including looking up the weather, and doing just a little bit of web surfing.

Three days into cell phone ownership, and it’s already the first thing he checks when he gets up in the morning.

I, of course, am looking forward to another benefit of my beloved finally having a cell phone. I can text him from the next room instead of trying to yell at him (especially when he has his TV headphones on), to remind him that the dog is still outside—or that it’s time to feed the cat.

And of course with texting, it’s ever so simple to copy and paste so I’ll be able to remind him again and again and again.

But maybe I’ll hold off on that until he is thoroughly hooked on the thing.



Love,

Morgan



No comments:

Post a Comment