Fire Ants In My Yard

2015 Blogging from A to Z Challenge

Saying I'm a writer is just one way I define myself. I'm also a jewelry seller, a decorator, a foodie, a cook and so much more. I didn't have to think long on what theme to use for this year's challenge. Spring is the start of gardening for me, so let's talk about what's In My Yard .


Fire Ants



If you live in the southern states of the USA, then you know about fire ants. They are a pest that bites. If left undisturbed, they build dirt mounds a couple feet tall. If you step on any size mound, even something low and unseen in the grass, the ants will swarm. In seconds you can have dozens on you.

I don't remember ever NOT having an ant bite on me. What they do is bite, inject toxin and leave your skin burning as if on fire.

My son has a greater sensitivity to them than I do. When he was 2 years old he stepped on an ant hill. By the time I got them off him, he had ten bites and he turned a bright red from head to toe. I had to take him to the emergency room. They gave him a high dose of Benedryl. The red went away, but for the rest of the day he had a lot of golf ball sized swelling at the site of each bite. Needless to say, we always have a lot of antihistamines around.



Brenda

~ Seductive in Any Era ~

2 comments:

  1. I stepped on an ant hill once, and got bit by fire ants more than once when I was living in texas, it is the worst!!

    ReplyDelete